Why BUY 2 GIVE 2?


Through Kids Giving Back, I began cooking meals in the school holidays for asylum seekers who rely on their lunchtime meal at the Asylum Seekers Centre (ASC) in Newtown for the main sustenance of their day. 

It was when I took the curries, rice and salads into the ASC to serve the lunch that I met the families who fled their home country because of fear of being persecuted. 

These  were people who are waiting for the government to grant them permanent residency in Australia but until then they need support because it is very hard for them to get jobs. They need a helping hand.


Many of the people were professionals in their own country, and they feel uncomfortable receiving food handouts, they have dignity and were really generous lovely people. As an Australian I want to help them even if it’s a small way by stocking the ASC Food Bank shelves so these families can get essential groceries each week – food and toiletries that we take for granted in our homes.
Here's an article I wrote about: Working in the ASC Community Kitchen

Food Bank: provides essential groceries and toiletries to families seeking asylum on a weekly basis. People can take one bag a week, or more depending on how many are in their family.

I needed food for my wife and young daughter, but without a job I had no money. I visit the centre to get milk for my daughter and rice, dahl, cooking oil, fruit and vegetables. This will help until I get a job.” Mohamad, Southern Asia

PLEASE help these people by

[1]  Choosing 1 or 2 toiletries or foods (click on the link on the right, or below,
      to see what they need).

[2]  Print out for form, or email me at buy2give2@gmail.com, the items you want to
      buy to give to asylum seekers in Sydney.

SO, they can get supplies each week for their families, just like we do. 



We can welcome them to Australia, 
and show that we want to support them
until they have the safety and security of knowing
Australia is their home for always. 



No comments:

Post a Comment